The 2008 Banff World Television Festival wrapped with more than a few big announcements. In a nutshell:
- WestWind Pictures announced that Fox Network will be making a US version of “Little Mosque on the Prairie”.
- Shaftesbury Films added a Digital Division by acquiring award-winning Smokebomb Entertainment.
- GlassBOX Television Inc. announced $5 million of new venture and strategic investment.
- Corus Entertainment will distribute original Heavy programming using Husky Media’s global video monetization platform.
- The Movie Network and Movie Central announced production dates for their original series “Sanctuary”, “Bloodletting & Miracle Cures” and “The Weight”.
- BBC Worldwide and Temple Street Productions announced BBC Worldwide will acquire a minority stake in Temple Street; the new partnership will focus on development, production and distribution.
- Discovery Canada announced they will delve into game shows with “Cash Cab,” a version of the British format to be produced by Castlewood.
- The Canadian Television Fund named veteran broadcaster Paul Gratton its new Chairman.